I am back from my hiatus and ready to tackle this week’s version of The Athlete’s Plate. When BDD sent me his nomination I was super excited because this blogger is one that I have been following for some time and she is a member of TAAN (Team Angels and Ninjas.) I have learned so much from this blogger and in all honesty this is the least I can do.
This blogger and I have exchanged emails before and we are in the process of trying to secure my wife and I a trip to see her on Thanksgiving so that we can run in her Turkey Trot. She is the race director and I can’t think of a better way to spend Thanksgiving than to be running side by side with Karen in Maine with Mandy and Bailey. That’s right this week’s Athlete’s Plate is dedicated to Mandy of Caratunk Girl fame.
It is an honor to present my version of Caratunk Cuisine.
Breakfast – Healthier Breakfast Open Faced Sandwich
Ingredients: 1 portobella mushroom cap, 1Tbs Pesto (make it homemade but use spinach, walnuts and parmesan instead of basil and pine nuts), 1/4c egg substitute (or 1 egg), 1Tbs chopped chives, 1Tbs goat cheese spread (mix goat cheese with 1Tbs soy milk to this out cheese), salt and pepper to taste
Nutritional Information: 255 calories, 17g Fat, 11g Carbs, 4g Fiber, 18g Protein
- Grill mushroom cap on panini press or on stove top grill about 2-3 minutes so that it gets soft
- While mushroom is grilling scramble egg and prior to setting add in chives and goat cheese spread
- Remove mushroom cap from grill and spread pesto on then add egg on top.
- Serve with coffee and/or oj
AM Snack – Bailey’s BarkWHEATS Granola
Ingredients: 1c rolled oats, 3/4c soy flour, 1/2c wheat germ, 3/4tsp cinnamon, 1/2tsp pumpkin spice, 1/4c canola oil, 1/4c agave nectar (light), 2Tbsp Orange Juice, 1/4c shredded unsweetened coconut, 2Tbs slivered almonds, 2Tbs chopped pecans, 1/4c dried fruit or raisins
Nutritional Information: 329 calories, 18g Fat, 35g Carbs, 6.5g Fiber, 10g Protein
- Preheat oven to 250*
- In medium bowl combine dry ingredients of oats, flour, wheat germ cinnamon, pumpkin spice and set aside.
- In a separate bowl combine the wet ingredients of oil, agave nectar and juice.
- Pour wet over dry and mix until well combined.
- Spread mixture on a greased baking sheet and bake for 45 minutes.
- Stir in coconut, almonds and pecans and bake for 20 minutes more.
- Remove from oven, allow to cool and stir in dried fruit.
Lunch – Tuckerman Tempeh Inferno Salad
Ingredients: 6oz tempeh crumbled, 2 carrots chopped, 2 celery stalks chopped, 1 vine ripened tomato seeded and chopped, spinach, your favorite hot sauce, water, 2c vegetable stock, dried oregano, 3 Ezekiel English Muffins Toasted
Nutritional Information: 296 calories, 6g Fat, 41g Carbs, 11g Fiber, 17g Protein
- Place crumbled tempeh in a bowl and cover with water for 15 minutes.
- Drain water from tempeh then add vegetable stock and allow to soak for another 15 minutes.
- Heat skillet with canola oil. Once hot add tempeh along with vegetable stock and allow to come to a boil. Reduce to simmer.
- Add in your hot sauce (amount is to your tasting) along with dried oregano.
- While that cooks down assemble salad with spinach, carrots, celery, tomatoes.
- After stock and hot sauce have reduced remove from heat and spoon tempeh onto salad.
PM Snack – IMLPancake Cupcakes
Ingredients: 1/2c Soy Flour, 1/2c Garbanzo Bean Flour, 1/2c HoneyMilk (but any milk will do), 1/4c egg substitute (or 1 egg), 2 tbs peanut butter (or your favorite nut butter), 1 medium banana smashed, 1/4c dried fruit, 1/4c chopped pecans, 2tbs agave nectar
Nutritional Information: 301 calories, 13g Fat, 38.5g Carbs, 7g Fiber, 11g Protein
- Preheat oven to 425*
- In one bowl mix all dry ingredients (flour, baking soda, baking powder)
- In a different bowl mix all wet ingredients (egg, peanut butter, banana, milk)
- Add dry to wet in increments and whisk to make sure all fully combined.
- After all dry is incorporated add in the nuts and dried fruit and mix to combine.
- Spray cupcake/muffin tin (this made 8 for me) with cooking spray.
- Fill in tin about 1/2 to 3/4 of the way.
- Put in oven for 12 minutes.
- Remove from oven and pull cupcakes out of tin with a knife and set to cool.
- I added in facin’ bacon and an orange but eat it with whatever you like.
Dinner – Rev3 Quassy Crustless Quiche
Ingredients: 1 tablespoon vegetable oil, 1 onion, chopped, 10oz frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained, 5 eggs, beaten, 3 cups shredded Parmesan Reggiano cheese, 1/4 teaspoon salt, 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
Nutritional Information: 257 calories, 16g Fat, 5.5g Carbs, 0.7g Fiber, 21g Protein
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease a 9 inch pie pan.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions and cook, stirring occasionally, until onions are soft. Stir in spinach and continue cooking until excess moisture has evaporated.
- In a large bowl, combine eggs, cheese, salt and pepper. Add spinach mixture and stir to blend. Scoop into prepared pie pan.
- Bake in preheated oven until eggs have set, about 30 minutes. Let cool for 10 minutes before serving.
Nutritional Information for Menu: 1438 Calories, 70g Fat, 131g Carbs, 29g Fiber, 76g Protein
Nutritional Breakdown for Endurance Athletes: 36% Carbs, 21% Protein, 43% Fat
This is higher in fat than what is optimal but with over 500 calories remaining to reach 2,000 for a daily intake of 2,000 you can eat a low-fat dessert to end the day.
Mandy – I hope you enjoyed this menu. It was great being able to go back to your blog. I actually went to one of your first posts to find your discussion of healthy breakfast sandwiches and noticed when you started quite a few recipes that inspired and honestly intimidated me when making this menu for you.
You now have one week to nominate another blogger for the menu next week.