The Athlete’s Plate is getting a facelift. Rita Barry of Fitblogger has created a new logo for the Athlete’s Plate and I am excited about it. So take a look above and get a glimpse of the last time you will see that old logo, then look down and check out our new logo. It will be resized to be larger but I think it captures the essence of this site with the swim, bike, run on top of the plate. Perfection. By the way, Rita also designed our Team Angels and Ninjas logo so please visit her site and also find her on Twitter and thank her from CTER for the wonderful work she has done.
This weeks featured blogger is Barbie from Trying A Tri. I had come across Barbara’s blog a while back but lost touch with it for one reason or another so when Summer Bailey (by the way finished 1st in her AG in her first Olympic Triathlon) nominated Barbara I was excited to go back and catch up. Well in such a small amount of time Barbara has really advanced her triathlon career. Last I had read she was doing sprints and really just training. As I caught up this week I found out that she has since raced an Olympic Distance and her first Half-Ironman. If that weren’t enough her second HIM is in less than 2.5 months. Barbara is getting faster from her training as well and I am excited about her progress. It is great to see improvement from people, but especially good people like her. And the one thing you will notice when you go to her site is that she is always smiling and for me that is worth the time it takes to click on the link. Anybody who is always smiling is awesome in my book. Barbie I hope you enjoy your menu.
Breakfast: Flash Point French Toast
Ingredients: 2 slices whole wheat bread, 1/4c HoneyMilk, 1 egg, 2tsp cinnamon, 2Tbs Cherry Preserves, Choice of Fruit, 1tbs olive oil, Agave Nectar/Maple Syrup/Honey
- Whisk HoneyMilk, Egg and Cinnamon
- Dip bread into mixture and coat on both sides
- Heat olive oil and then add both slices of coated bread
- Cook on both sides until golden brown
- Serve with side of fruit and topped with cherry preserve and sweetner
AM Snack: Chrissie Wellington Rice Cakes
Ingredients: 3 plain rice cakes, 1.5 Tbs of Nut Butter, 1.5 Tbs of Honey
- Spread Nut Butter and Honey over each rice cake
- Serve with almond milk
Lunch: Tempeh Wrap with Salt and Vinegar Chips
Ingredients: Tempeh, 1/2c Spinach, 1/4c Red Onion (chopped), 1/4c Mushroom (chopped), Whole Grain Mustard, Whole Wheat Tortilla Wrap, 1 small sweet potato sliced thin, sea salt, white vinegar
- Preheat oven to 375*
- Place sweet potato on baking dish and spray with cooking spray. Sprinkle on sea salt.
- Place in oven to bake until golden brown. Approximately 15 minutes.
- While chips bake crumble tempeh and soak in water for 15 minutes.
- Remove chips from oven and let sit to cool down
- Drain tempeh from water and dry out with paper towel
- Spoon tempeh into bowl
- Add chopped onion and mushroom and mix.
- Place mustard in center of wrap and then top with tempeh mixture
- Fold in sides of wrap and then roll over to create a tight wrap.
- With a serated knife cut in half and then serve with sweet potato chips after sprinkling chips with vinegar
PM Snack: Avocado Spread on Sprout Bread topped with Egg
(adapted from recipe from Linda Wagner)
Ingredients: 1/4 to 1/2 avocado diced, sea salt, ground black pepper, 1 slice toasted ezekiel sprout bread, 1 egg, hot sauce
- Toast Ezekiel Bread right from Freezer
- While bread is toasting, split avocado in half and then cut flesh inside of shell.
- Once toast is done, scoop out flesh of avocado
- Top with sea salt, ground black pepper and hot sauce to taste
- Cook egg sunnyside up (that means loose yolk)
- Place egg on top
- Cut into the egg and let the yolk run all over the avocado for extra creamy goodness
Dinner – Chinese/Italian Eggplant Cannondale Calzones
Ingredients: 3 egg roll wrappers, 15oz can diced tomatoes, 4oz tomato paste, 4 cloves garlic minced, Italian Seasonings, 2 1/2” thick slice Eggplant, Cooking Spray, 1Tbs Olive Oil, Asiago Cheese
- Preheat oven to 425*
- Heat olive oil in pan over medium-high heat. Once to temp add in garlic and cook for 3 minutes but be careful not to burn garlic.
- Add diced tomato and cook for 3-5 minutes then add in tomato paste and combine until smooth.
- Cook for 10-15 minutes.
- While sauce is cooking down slice eggplant circle into strips.
- Place eggroll wrapper in front of you so it looks like a diamond.
- Place eggplant strips into each wrapper at the bottom of the diamond
- Top with red sauce and then asiago cheese (you can use mozzerella or parmesan)
- Roll wrapper over and then pull tight.
- Fold in sides and then roll over toward the other end of the diamond.
- Dot the edge with water to create a seal when finished rolling over.
- Place on silpat on baking dish (if you don’t have a silpat then spray baking dish)
- Place in oven at the top and cook until golden brown
- Serve with a side salad or on its own.
Barbara I hope you enjoy this menu and that you enjoy the meals after you make them. It was great catching up and having the opportunity to exchange Facebook emails as well. Thank you for the nomination already as well.