I am really excited about showcasing this menu today because it is for a blogger who is a superb athlete who does not hide from sweating or eating. In all honesty the blog could be called Sweat, Eat, Sweat More, Keep Eating and it would hit the nail on the head. The times that this blogger can put up will make you stare in awe. Speed just seems to come out of every pore, followed by some carb loading (although I believe that is to be done before hand right?) The posts that are written are funny and leave you with a question to answer. You cannot go wrong with a daily visit to this bloggers site so that you can laugh and walk away entertained. The blogger I am speaking of is Emily of Sweat Once A Day. Emily is racing Ironman Lake Placid in less than one month so please go to her blog and give her words of encouragement and if that is too much for you then find her on twitter (@emilysweats) and say good luck there, as I’m sure she will appreciate it.
Breakfast – Bagels and (Nut) Butter
Ingredients: 1 whole wheat bagel, 2tbs nut butter, 1 medium banana, 1tbs honey, 1tsp cinnamon spice Servings: 1 Directions:
- Toast bagel then spread nut butter on each half and top with sliced banana.
- Pour honey over banana and sprinkle the cinnamon spice over top.
AM Snack – Cranberry Walnut Cupcakes
Ingredients: 1/2c Soy Flour, 1/2c Garbanzo Bean Flour, 1/2c HoneyMilk (but any milk will do), 1/4c egg substitute (or 1 egg), 2 tbs peanut butter (or your favorite nut butter), 1 medium banana smashed, 2tbs cranberry
jam, 1/4c chopped walnuts, 2tbs agave nectar Servings: 4 Directions:
- Preheat oven to 425*
- In one bowl mix all dry ingredients (flour, baking soda, baking powder)
- In a different bowl mix all wet ingredients (egg, peanut butter, banana, milk)
- Add dry to wet in increments and whisk to make sure all fully combined.
- After all dry is incorporated add in the nuts and mix to combine.
- Spray cupcake/muffin tin (this made 8 for me) with cooking spray.
- Fill in tin about 1/4 of the way then put in cranberry jam.
- Fill remainder of tin to about 1/2 to 3/4 of the way to the top.
- Put in oven for 12 minutes.
- Remove from oven and pull cupcakes out of tin with a knife and set to cool.
Lunch – Cornbeef & Cabbage Carbs Sandwich
(recipe adapted from thekitchn.com) Ingredients: 1 8oz. package of your favorite tempeh, 1/4c olive oil, 1Tbs toasted sesame oil, 1Tbs tamari , 1/4tsp paprika, 1 pinch chili flake, 1/4tsp thyme (fresh or dried), 1 medium garlic clove (minced), 1c raw cabbage (shredded), 4 slices Rye bread, Whole Grain Mustard Servings: 2 Directions:
- Heat 1 T olive oil in a non-stick pan.
- Whisk together all ingredients except tempeh.
- Cut tempeh into pieces about 1/4 inch thick (be careful to not cut it too think or it will crumble.)
- Dip the slices into the marinade (just turning to coat them–don’t let them sit)
- Place tempeh into hot oiled pan and cook on medium high heat for 3-4 minutes on each side.
- When tempeh slices are golden, whisk 1Tbs of water to your leftover marinade, and pour the mixture into your skillet.
- Lower the heat. Cover and cook for 1-2 minutes more, then remove the lid and allow the tempeh to crisp up for just another minute.
- Set it aside and begin to assemble the sandwich
- On toasted rye bread spread whole grain mustard
- Layer on tempeh and cabbage then top with remaining slice.
PM Snack – Sweaty Spinach Smoothie
Ingredients: 1 bunch spinach, 1c almond milk, 1Tbs Nut Butter, 1/2 banana, 1/2c strawberries, ice Servings: 1 Directions:
- In blender whip all ingredients until it reaches your desired consistency.
Dinner – Rocketship Rigatoni
Ingredients: 6oz Jovial Foods Whole Grain Einkorn Rigatoni, 15oz can fire roasted tomatoes, 15oz can cannelini beans, 2c spinach, 1Tbs olive oil, salt & pepper to taste
- Bring pot of water to a boil. Once water is boiling add pasta and cook for 13 minutes.
- In non-stick skillet add 1Tbs olive oil and heat.
- Once oil is hot add in tomatoes and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add in cannelini beans and stir to combine then let sit.
- After the pasta is done cooking remove and strain water and set aside.
- Turn off heat on bean and tomato mixture and add in spinach.
- Fold beans and tomatoes over top of spinach so it begins to wilt.
- Once wilted put some of the mixture on bottom of bowl then add pasta on top.
- Finish off with more sauce and serve.