Banana Cranberry muffins and its recipe came about because Karen and I had both purchased bananas and as bananas do they started to turn an ugly shade of brown. Mind you that a banana is at its peak of perfection when there are dark spots on it these bananas had essentially turned black/brown and were either going to meet the garbage can or they were getting turned into pancakes/waffles/bread or in this case banana cranberry muffins.
There were 8 bananas that had turned and Karen asked me what I wanted to do with them. I had previously made vegan banana bread that I used for French Toast so I wanted to go a different route. I love cooking and to me cooking the same thing over and over again isn’t much fun. I want to experiment and see how things turn out. My philosophy if they turn out bad: throw it out and order pizza. The other reason I wanted to try something out was that I don’t consider myself a baker. Baking requires patience and a lot of measuring and well I would rather cut, dice, chop, chiffonade and mince rather than mix, beat and pour. Having the opportunity to recycle these bananas was the perfect excuse to test out some baking skills.
The next question was what am I going to make the bananas with. I could have gone the route of nuts as everybody loves banana nut muffins/bread but I wanted something a little more sweet and so I opted for cranberries. I typically have dried cranberries around the house because they are perfect for overnight oats or in salads (like this Brussels Sprouts Stuffed Acorn Squash whose recipe can be found here.) Armed with brown bananas, dried cranberries and a muffin tin I was ready to go to work.
Here is the recipe for Banana Cranberry Muffins so that you can go to work too.
Banana Cranberry Muffins
By May 11, 2013Published:
- Yield: 12 muffins (12 Servings)
- Prep: 20 mins
- Cook: 30 mins
- Ready In: 50 mins
Perfect for breakfast, brunch or a snack these banana cranberry muffins are easy to make and taste great too.
- 8 Ripe Bananas
- 3/4 cup Garbanzo Bean Flour I use Bob's Red Mill, but any flour will work. Obviously to keep it gluten-free do not use AP or WW flour
- 1/2 cup Dried Cranberries
- 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1 Tbsp Ground Flaxseed
- 3 Tbsp Warm Water
- 1 Tbsp Cinnamon (Ground)
- 1 tsp Turmeric (Ground)
- 1/2 tsp Nutmeg (Ground)
- In a medium bowl mash the 8 bananas and it is ok if it is a little chunky.
- Combine the water and the ground flaxseed and set aside.
If you are not interested in making this vegan than use 1 whole egg.
- Add cranberries, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, turmeric and flax egg. Mix until well combined.
- Add in the flour and combine until a batter is formed.
- Pour batter evenly into the muffin tins. I had enough to pour to the top of each tin but if you want it to look like a muffin top then pour more in and create less muffins.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Allow muffins to cool for 5 minutes in the tin and then scoop out and place on cooling rack for another 10-15 minutes or until they are set.
WordPress Recipe Plugin by ReciPress
I have eaten them cool and out of the microwave (microwaved for 20 seconds) and the banana flavor comes through more when they are warm. The cranberries add a terrific texture change to the muffins.
Thank you to Karly Kay of iCarlyWithAK for requesting the recipe on Instagram. If you want a recipe from the pictures posted on Instagram just leave a comment there with a request and I’ll do my best to get the recipe posted as quickly as possible.
What Do You Do With Your Brown Bananas?
Will You Make Banana Cranberry Muffins Next Time They Turn Brown?