Black Forest Cake waffle was inspired by the recovery smoothie I made this past weekend. I have been mesmerized by this cake for sometime and I am not sure why. Black Forest Cake is essentially nothing more than chocolate and cherries but for some reason when you make it into a cake I lose my mind. Maybe it is the tartness of the cherries or the sweetness of the chocolate, but either way these flavors work very well together.
When I went to bed on Wednesday night I knew that I was making these black forest cake waffles for lunch. Then I jumped into the water at the pool on Thursday morning and the water was so hot that the only thing keeping me going was the thought of these waffles. I had 2500 yards to swim and with every turn of my arm my mind would wander to black forest cake, waffles, breakfast…..make now. It got to the point that I lost count of how many laps I had done and I was only doing a 100y set. Seriously, this is how bad I wanted these waffles.
It is no secret that I love waffles and when I get on a streak I tend to not stop. Everything I look at becomes a recipe for waffles. Earlier this week I posted Savory Greek Waffles and you want to know why? It’s because I had made a Cobb Salad the week before. I am now having thoughts of how to make waffles out of avocados after seeing this recipe for Avocado Creme Brûlée. I am also having visions of an Apple Cider Waffle based on the recipe from the Apple Pie Oatmeal I posted about last week. I guess what I am saying is that anything, and I mean anything, will taste great in waffle form.
I know, I know…..you probably haven’t read the last three paragraphs because all you want is the recipe for these waffles……so here you go:
Black Forest Cake Waffles
Ingredients: 1/2c Extra Thick Rolled Oats (I use Bob’s Red Mill), 1 egg, 70g Frozen Cherries, 1 Tbsp Unsweetened Cocoa Powder, 1 Tbsp Chocolate Chips (I prefer dark chocolate or breaking off pieces of a dark chocolate bar), 1 pinch baking soda, 1 pinch baking powder, 1 Tsp Vanilla Extract, 1 Tsp Almond Extract (or use 1 oz raw almonds), 1/4-1/2c water (depends on how thick you want your batter)
Nutritional Information: 317 calories, 55g Carbs, 9g Fat, 10g Protein, 9g Fiber
- Pre-heat your waffle iron.
- Blend the oats to create oat flour (or just use oat flour but I like the oats since I can blend on my own = cheaper!)
- In the blender add the cherries, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, vanilla, almond and water and blend until well combined.
- Remove the batter and pour into a bowl. Fold in your chocolate chips.
- Once waffle iron is ready pour batter and sit back and enjoy the smell of Black Forest Cake waffles cooking up.
- After your waffle iron informs you that the waffles are ready remove them carefully and plate.
There are so many things that you can do at this point and here are a few:
- Serve with coconut milk whipped ‘cream’
- Place the coconut milk whipped ‘cream’ in center and make a sandwich then freeze for a black forest cake cream sandwich.
- Serve with your favorite ice cream.
- Serve with orange and a banana.
Let your imagination run wild and be creative with how you enjoy these waffles. On this day I enjoyed them with some extra fruit.
Have Any Recipes For ‘Non-Standard’ Waffles?
Have Any Ingredients You Want Turned Into A Waffle?
Thank you for reading!