Brownie Banana Ice Cream Waffle Sandwiches……let those 6 words roll around in your head and think about the possibilities of that brownie goodness matched with bananas and their sweetness. Seriously stop drooling and wipe the slobber off your keyboard and stick with me for a moment. As you may know I went on a 21 Day Sugar Detox thanks to Amy and Sarah that started the Monday right after Ironman Texas. I did this because I did not want to let my weight get away from me too much during a period of no structured training. I also wanted to take a peek into what I have been feeding my body and if eliminating anything would make me feel better. I discovered quite a bit about myself which I will detail tomorrow for you in a separate blog post because you are here for brownie banana ice cream waffle sandwiches and not a sugar detox.
Here is the thing about the brownie banana ice cream sandwiches……they are sugar-free. They are also gluten-free and wheat-free. You can make them vegan if you care but these did use an egg but a simple replacement with a mashed banana would do this recipe just fine as well. What I found out when I bit into these fluffy, chocolate beauties was something that would satisfy the worst of all sweet tooth that anybody may have. The natural sugars in the bananas come through so strongly that you do not even realize that there is no sugar added to the batter or the ice ‘cream’. Oh yes, the ice cream is vegan and simple to make. All you need is two ingredients and a blender.
When I started making these brownie banana ice cream sandwiches I started wondering about the amount of calories and carbs, etc but then realized…..WHO CARES! Give me these bad boys as I am not adding sugar to them and well I wanted some chocolate weight be damned. After calculating the amount of each ingredient into My Fitness Pal I realized that for an ice cream sandwich made with brownie batter and no added sugar I could be doing much worse. I am not saying that these are going to be made every single day but when that sweet tooth hits and you want something more than an apple then turning to these brownie banana ice cream waffle sandwiches will not kill any sort of diet you are on.
OK, OK enough from me here is the recipe for you to go forward and make these for dessert tonight:
Brownie Banana Ice Cream Sandwiches
By June 10, 2013Published:
- Yield: 2 Ice Cream Sandwiches (2 Servings)
- Prep: 15 mins
- Cook: 10 mins
- Ready In: 25 mins
When that craving for something sweet hit try making these and enjoy the fact that no sugar is added.
- 3/4 cup Garbanzo Flour
- 1 Egg
- 3/4+1/2+1 cup Unsweetened Coconut Milk
- 3 Sections Ghirardelli 100% Raw Cacao Bar
- 1 Tbsp Raw Cacao Powder
- 200 grams Frozen Banana
- In a large mixing bowl combine garbanzo flour, egg and raw cacao powder with 3/4c of unsweetened coconut milk.
Whisk until a batter is formed and set aside
- In microwave safe bowl add broken chunks of cacao bar and 1/2c of unsweetened coconut milk.
Microwave for 15 seconds and then mix to combine. Microwave for another 15 seconds and mix so that you have a smooth chocolate mixture.
- Add chocolate mixture to the batter and combine well.
Place in waffle maker and cook per the manufacturer's instructions.
- Remove waffles from the maker and with a ring mold cut out 4 pieces to form the sandwich. Allow them to cool completely by placing them in the freezer.
Eat the left over sections.
- In a blender add the bananas and the remaining approximately 1/4c of the remaining cup of unsweetened coconut milk.
Turn blender on and drizzle in the coconut milk until a creamy ice cream texture develops.
- Spoon the banana ice cream into a glass bowl and place into freezer to allow to set. Approximately 30 minutes.
- Set up the brownie sections on a plate and scoop the banana ice cream onto them and then top and serve.
WordPress Recipe Plugin by ReciPress
Please keep in mind that the sweetness is going to come from the banana in the banana ice cream. The brownie sections are made from raw cacao which means they will not be sweet so if you are looking for sweet brownies you will need to add cocoa powder or chocolate chips instead of using the raw cacao bar.