I have fallen in love with something new and I want to share it with you. This addiction has been a part of my life since I was a kid but it has finally showing up on a regular basis. As a kid my mother used to put them on top of her hamburgers all the time and I thought nothing of it, that is until last week when I was visiting her in Charlotte and started making the dish and she reminded me.
What I am talking about is caramelized onions. This simple to make addition to your meal is full of flavor, full of sweetness and health benefits. I have been using red onions as opposed to white or yellow onions. Red onions help lower blood-sugar glucose levels, lower your chances of colon cancer, strengthen bones, reduce inflammation and increase cardiovascular health.
So how have I been incorporating this great flavor in my diet? I have been using them in breakfast and dinner. Following are two recipes which use caramelized red onion and is what I ate this morning and what I will be eating tonight.
BREAKFAST – CARAMELIZED ONIONS AND EGG WHITES
Ingredients: 2 oz of red onion, 2 egg whites, 1 slice ezekiel bread, 1 tbsp fig preserve, 1 tbsp chili garlic paste, 1 tbsp olive oil
Nutritional Information: 324 calories, 15g Fat, 0 cholesterol, 33g Carbs, 5g Fiber, 13g Protein
Nutritional Breakdown: 40% Carbs, 44% Fat, 16% Protein
- Toast Ezekiel Bread on high (I keep the Ezekiel Bread in the freezer.) When done flip over and toast on lowest setting.
- While bread is in toaster heat up olive oil and then add onions and cook until caramelized
- After bread is done spread the fig preserve and garlic chili paste
- Add a bit of salt to the onions as they start to brown to bring out the juices and allow for quicker caramelizing.
- Once done (about 10-15 minutes) spoon onions onto bread and add egg whites to same pan.
- After egg whites are done cooking add to other ingredients and enjoy.
- Pre-heat up oven to 350*
- Cut top off of head of garlic and add salt then wrap in aluminum foil and place in oven to roast.
- While garlic starts roasting heat up olive oil to begin caramelizing of onions.
- Once olive oil is hot add in onions.
- Remove garlic from oven and squeeze out four cloves and mash with a fork.
- Spread cheese and garlic on top of Naan.
- Once onions begin to caramelize add in mushrooms and olives.
- Once the onions are done cooking spread mixture over top of cheese.
- Place pizza in oven for 5-10 minutes to allow the Naan to heat up and finish melting the cheese.
What Is Your Latest Food Addiction?
What Is The Food That You Cannot Live Without?