Chocolate Pistachio Waffles has been on my meal plan menu for nearly one week now and I wanted desperately to move it up into the week but I also knew that I was going to be riding for three hours and running for 30 minutes and needed something to look forward to. Then again there was a good chance that waffles were going to be on my menu so I could have scarfed down the chocolate pistachio waffles earlier this week. Good things come to those who wait……
When I put together my meal plan I try to create waffles that I have not had in a long time or create a new flavor for myself. When I was at Sprout’s the idea of chocolate pistachio waffles popped into my head and I knew I had not had that flavor ever even though I knew that I had chocolate hazelnut (Nutella flavor) waffles on the plan for the day prior. This kind of thing happens to me when I go grocery shopping and I think I have my meals planned out then I walk by the bulk area and can pick up a little bit of this and a little bit of that. Throw chocolate into the mix and chocolate pistachio waffles and chocolate hazelnut waffles are born.
As I was going through the week I came across the idea of ice cream. What kind of ice cream would go with chocolate pistachio waffles? Vanilla? Boring….. Chocolate? …..Hmmm, maybe too much chocolate? Mint? …..the green mint with green pistachio? Nope, I decided to make strawberry ice cream. Why? Because I had just put 2 pints of strawberries into the freezer and knew I could get ice cream from them with little to no effort.
I know, less talk and more recipe so I will not waste any more of your time. Here is the recipe for the waffles:
Chocolate Pistachio Waffles And Vegan Strawberry Ice Cream
Ingredients: 1/2c garbanzo flour, 1 egg, 1 oz pistachios, 100g frozen strawberries, 1 Tbsp Goji Berries, 1/2c + 1 Tbsp Coconut Milk (unsweetened and split into 1/4c), 4 sections Ghirardelli 72% cacao chocolate
Nutritional Information: 712 calories, 72g Carbohydrates, 43g Fat, 28g Protein, 20g Fiber
- In your blender add frozen strawberries and 1/4c coconut milk. Blend until a smooth mixture forms.
- Place strawberry ice cream into a metal bowl and into your freezer to set up.
- Place pistachios into a storage bag and seal it. Place towel over top and smash with rolling-pin or meat tenderizer or a can. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl add flour, egg and 1/4c coconut milk. Whisk to combine well. Set aside.
- In a microwave safe bowl add broken pieces of chocolate and 1 Tbsp of coconut milk and microwave for 30 seconds.
- Stir chocolate and coconut milk until a thick ganache like mixture forms then add to your batter.
- Whisk chocolate and 80% of the pistachio pieces into batter until well combined.
- Heat up waffle iron to your manufacturer’s instructions.
- Add batter and allow waffles to cook.
- While waffles are cooking remove strawberry ice cream from freezer and make a quenelle and place into a bowl.
- Plate the chocolate pistachio waffles and the strawberry ice cream.
- Garnish with the remaining pistachio pieces and goji berries then serve.
- The batter will be thick but when cooked properly will have a crunchy outside and soft interior.
- If you cannot get the Ghirardelli chocolate you can replace with ~ 1 Tbsp of cocoa powder.
- The chocolate is dark and thus not sweet so if you want sweet add 1 tsp of turbinado. I’ve never used stevia but that could be an addition as well.
- This recipe could easily be an ice cream sandwich as well. Let your imagination take over.