Mexican Waffles? What could that be? Well, I’m here to tell you that it could possibly be the best breakfast food I have ever made. There was sweet and spicy. There was cool and heat. Then of course there was the fact that is was perfect for a recovery meal.
As you know I love breakfast food and it doesn’t matter what time of the day I eat it, as it always tastes great. After seeing the show The Best Thing I Ever Ate I was inspired to make these waffles, but I couldn’t make them in the middle of the week because it had to be a treat. The day came when on Saturday I had a 3.5 hour ride and 20 minute race pace run. I was so excited about these waffles that I set a PR on my 60 mile course by getting it done in 3h12m. Normally I would have kept going for the remaining 18 minutes but the waffles were calling my name. I got the run done and then practically raced home to get going on the waffles. It was perfect.
Here is the recipe for the Mexican Waffles:
Ingredients: 1/2c Grapevine Grains Pancake Mix (click on the link to order and enter CTER for a 10% discount), 1 ear roasted corn on the cob, 1/4c black beans (drained and rinsed), 0.5c water, 1 medium tomato (sliced), 2 thin slices red onion, 50g cucumber, 1 small avocado, 1 small jalapeno, bunch cilantro, 1c water
Nutritional Information: 381 calories, 75g Carbs, 4g Fat, 14g Protein
- Preaheat oven to 405* and place corn in oven while still in husk. Allow to roast for approximately 20 minutes.
- In food processor combine cucumber, avocado, jalapeno and water and combine until it forms a loose soup.
- In a separate bowl combine mix with black beans and let sit until corn is done cooking.
- Toward end of 20 minutes of corn roasting turn on waffle iron and allow to pre-heat.
- Remove corn from oven and slice kernels from the cob and add approximately 1/2 of the kernels to the batter.
- Once mix with beans and corn is well combined.
- Pour batter onto waffle iron and allow to cook per manufacturer’s directions.
- While waffles are cooking assemble platter by adding sliced tomato and red onion alternatively while adding corn and 1 Tbsp of avocado soup over top.
- After waffles are cooked place on plate and sprinkle another 1 Tbsp of the avocado soup over top of the waffles.
- Serve with a cup of hot coffee or tea and orange juice. If it’s late enough in the day serve with Corona.
Eats - Week 3
Healthy Eats For Week 3
[img src=http://cooktraineatrace.com/wp-content/flagallery/eats-week3/thumbs/thumbs_roastveg2.jpg]4900Roasted Vegetables Over Spaghetti Squash
[img src=http://cooktraineatrace.com/wp-content/flagallery/eats-week3/thumbs/thumbs_roastveg3.jpg]4620Roasted Vegetables With Dash Of Cholula
[img src=http://cooktraineatrace.com/wp-content/flagallery/eats-week3/thumbs/thumbs_roastveg4.jpg]4330Roasted In Oven at 405* for 20-25 minutes
[img src=http://cooktraineatrace.com/wp-content/flagallery/eats-week3/thumbs/thumbs_steamedveg1.jpg]4160Steamed Vegetables
[img src=http://cooktraineatrace.com/wp-content/flagallery/eats-week3/thumbs/thumbs_steamedveg2.jpg]3990Steamed Vegetables In Foil
[img src=http://cooktraineatrace.com/wp-content/flagallery/eats-week3/thumbs/thumbs_steamveg3.jpg]3920Steamed Vegetables With Roasted Garlic
[img src=http://cooktraineatrace.com/wp-content/flagallery/eats-week3/thumbs/thumbs_mexicanwaffles1.jpg]3810Mexican Waffles
[img src=http://cooktraineatrace.com/wp-content/flagallery/eats-week3/thumbs/thumbs_mexicanwaffles2.jpg]3740Mexican Waffles With Avocado/Cucumber Sauce
[img src=http://cooktraineatrace.com/wp-content/flagallery/eats-week3/thumbs/thumbs_mexicanwaffles3.jpg]3660Roasted Corn And Black Bean Waffles
[img src=http://cooktraineatrace.com/wp-content/flagallery/eats-week3/thumbs/thumbs_stirfry1.jpg]3610Stir Fry Vegetables
[img src=http://cooktraineatrace.com/wp-content/flagallery/eats-week3/thumbs/thumbs_stirfry2.jpg]3560Stir Fry With Honey/Wasabi Sauce
[img src=http://cooktraineatrace.com/wp-content/flagallery/eats-week3/thumbs/thumbs_stirfry3.jpg]3540Stir Fry Assorted Vegetables
[img src=http://cooktraineatrace.com/wp-content/flagallery/eats-week3/thumbs/thumbs_lentilburger1.jpg]3480Lentil Burgers With Roasted Sweet Potato Fries
[img src=http://cooktraineatrace.com/wp-content/flagallery/eats-week3/thumbs/thumbs_lentilburger2.jpg]3450Roasted Brussels Sprouts and Lentil - Chipotle Burgers
[img src=http://cooktraineatrace.com/wp-content/flagallery/eats-week3/thumbs/thumbs_lentilburger3.jpg]3440Lentil - Chipotle Burgers Topped With Grainy Mustard
[img src=http://cooktraineatrace.com/wp-content/flagallery/eats-week3/thumbs/thumbs_vegsandwich1.jpg]3420Vegetable Sandwich With Tofu
[img src=http://cooktraineatrace.com/wp-content/flagallery/eats-week3/thumbs/thumbs_vegsandwich2.jpg]3380Vegan Bread Holding in Thin Sliced Veggies
[img src=http://cooktraineatrace.com/wp-content/flagallery/eats-week3/thumbs/thumbs_vegsandwich3.jpg]3360Whole Grain Mustard and Sauerkraut Add Texture And Tang