Recently I have been looking at the ingredients in the PowerBar that I use for the bike. I have been taking the PowerBar Harvest Double Chocolate Crisp and cutting it into fours and eating one piece every 15 minutes. I am doing this because I can get 250 calories into my body in that time plus the 41g of carbs that I will need to help my muscles fire for that duration. Now the cost of the PowerBars is not high. My grocery store has been selling them at 10 for $10 and I will buy 20 of them at a time and they sit in the pantry until I need them. Sometimes months….you see where I am going here?
So the other day I unwrap one and I look at it and it looks like chocolate covered rice krispie treats and the lightbulb goes off. My first thought was how hard would it be to make one of these? I mean some puffed rice, some almonds, honey….and then my mind really took off. How do you get it to stick together besides pouring buckets full of honey into it. The moment was solidified when I thought about marshmallows, but not just any marshmallow but the mini marshmallow.
OK, so now I am prepared mentally to get the ingredients and make this happen. The first one turned out awesome but it was a brick. It was about 490 calories and was huge. Not sure it would have fit into my bento box to be honest. I went back to the lab (my kitchen) and experimented a little with reducing the size and trying to figure out what I could come up with and it came out to be awesome and pure ingredients.
My PowerBaha Bar consists of 6 ingredients if you make it without chocolate and 7 if you make it with chocolate. Does it get any more simple than that?
The Baha Bar – PowerBar Harvest Version
Ingredients Baha Bar: 1/3c Kashi 7 Grain Puffs, 1tbs almonds (chopped), 1tbs dried cranberries, 1tbs mini marshmallows, 1tbs honey, 1tbs dark chocolate chips (optional)
Ingredients PowerBar: WHOLE OATS, BROWN RICE SYRUP, SOY CRISPS (SOY PROTEIN ISOLATE, RICE FLOUR, BARLEY MALT, SALT), EVAPORATED CANE JUICE SYRUP, CHOCOLATEY COATING (SUGAR, FRACTIONATED PALM KERNEL OIL, COCOA, WHEY, NONFAT MILK, SOY LECITHIN, NATURAL VANILLA FLAVOR), HONEY, ALKALIZED COCOA, RICE CRISPS (MILLED RICE, SUGAR, SALT, BARLEY MALT), INULIN (FROM CHICORY), CHOCOLATE, SOY PROTEIN ISOLATE, AND LESS THAN 2% OF CHOCOLATE CHIPS (SUGAR, CHOCOLATE, MILKFAT, SOY LECITHIN, NATURAL VANILLA FLAVOR), ALMOND BUTTER, PEANUT BUTTER, NONFAT MILK, VEGETABLE GLYCERIN, NATURAL FLAVORS, MINERALS: CALCIUM PHOSPHATE, POTASSIUM PHOSPHATE, FERROUS FUMARATE (IRON), VITAMINS: ASCORBIC ACID (VITAMIN C), VITAMIN B6 HYDROCHLORIDE, RIBOFLAVIN (VITAMIN B2), THIAMINE HYDROCHLORIDE (VITAMIN B1). CONTAINS ALMOND, MILK, PEANUT AND SOY INGREDIENTS. MADE ON EQUIPMENT THAT ALSO PROCESSES WHEAT.
- Nutritional Information Baha Bar without choc0late: 203calories, 8g Fat, 33g Carbs, 2g Fiber, 4g Protein, 23g Sugar
- Nutritional Information Baha Bar with choc0late: 272calories, 12g Fat, 42g Carbs, 3g Fiber, 5g Protein, 30g Sugar
- Nutritional Information Lara Bar: 250calories, 5g Fat, 42g Carbs, 5g Fiber, 10g Protein, 21g Sugar
- In a bowl combine all the ingredients and give it a good stir to mix it together.
- Place in microwave for 45 seconds (without chocolate) or 30 seconds (with chocolate.)
- Layout a sheet of wax paper and spray with cooking spray (lightly.)
- Spray two spoons with cooking spray and carefully remove the ingredients from the bowl.
- Place ingredients in center of wax paper and then use the wax paper to form a bar.
- Place on a plate and into the freezer overnight until solid.
- Remove from freezer and cut into 4 pieces or enjoy as a healthy energy bar