Quinoa and tofu is not something I typically put together as it seems like protein overkill. There is 8g of protein per cup of quinoa while there is 10g of protein per 1/2 cup of tofu. 18g of protein in one meal would be nearly 35% of the average needs of a man and that just seems like to much from one meal. I avoided this combination forever until I saw a post on Instagram with these two combined and I thought that I should just give it a try and ignore the macros for just one meal as the texture combination seemed like it would be phenomenal.
If tofu is made to my liking then it is extremely crunchy on the outside and creamy on the inside while the quinoa would present itself with a creamy texture overall. Of course you can’t just toss quinoa and tofu on a plate and call it a meal. You need other ingredients and when I saw Chef Marcus Samuelsson’s recipe for a quinoa and beet salad I knew that beets were going to get tossed into the mix. Of course it didn’t hurt that I had just purchased beets from the farmer’s market the weekend prior.
With a cast iron pan ready to go having the crunchy exterior on the tofu, sweet potatoes and beets was going to be easy. Cast iron pans were made for pan roasting vegetables. Put some sweet corn and sweet peas into the quinoa to off set the poblano pepper and this quinoa and tofu salad would be a hit. The downside is that the beets would turn nearly everything a shade of red and so you could call this Red Quinoa And Tofu Salad if you wish, but whatever you call it just make and then sit out on your back porch or patio on a cool summer evening and enjoy.
Quinoa And Tofu Salad
By June 14, 2013Published:
- Yield: 1 Plate Of Yummy Goodness (1 Servings)
- Prep: 20 mins
- Cook: 25 mins
- Ready In: 45 mins
Enjoying a summer salad is a terrific experience and this quinoa and tofu salad brings the fall season into the summer.
- 100 grams Sweet Potato Chopped
- 85 grams Firm Tofu Pressed And Cubed
- 1/3 cup Sweet Peas Frozen Is OK
- 1/4 cup Sweet Corn Frozen Is OK
- 80 grams Beets Chopped
- 1/2 Poblano Pepper Chopped
- 2 cloves Garlic Minced
- 1/4 cup Quinoa (dry)
- 1 Tbsp Tamarin Sauce
- 1 Tbsp Rice Vinegar
- In a pot bring 1c of water to a boil and add the quinoa. Stir and then reduce heat to a simmer and cover with a tight lid.
- While quinoa is cooking melt 1/2 Tbsp Coconut Oil in a pan and then add in beets and sweet potatoes.
- Allow the beets and sweet potatoes to brown. When golden brown add in tofu and allow them to brown on two sides.
- With beets, sweet potatoes and tofu browned add in poblano pepper and garlic . Cook for another 3-5 minutes.
- At this time water should be nearly completely absorbed by the quinoa. Add in corn and peas and stir to combine.
- In a bowl add the beets and sweet potato mixture and add in tamarin and rice vinegar.
- Add quinoa to vegetables and mix to combine well then plate and serve.
WordPress Recipe Plugin by ReciPress
This quinoa and tofu salad is wheat-free, gluten-free, dairy-free and vegan. I think I covered everybody’s issues here other than adding bacon for the carnivores that follow this blog. In truth bacon wouldn’t go so well here but diced chicken or turkey would be a perfect substitute for the tofu. I also believe that you could turn this quinoa and tofu salad into a quinoa and tempeh salad if you so choose.
Lastly, this dish can be served cold at a picnic as well and all the flavors will hold up (I would know as I did not finish it all and put it in the fridge and then ate it for breakfast the next day – cold straight from the fridge).