Rock And Roll Marathon Series – well, yes I did it again. I ran another Rock and Roll Event.. and I truly believe it will be my last. I am thankful for these large events as they motivate people to get out and run – but in my honest opinion they have gotten way too crowded and chaotic and here are my pet peeves:
- Lining up at the front of the race in the lower numbered corrals and then running slow.
- Abruptly stopping during a race. Move to the side first – I crashed into 2 people who stopped..
- Photo ops. I saw several people taking self-portraits while running, or taking pictures of others. Please refer to above and move to side – OFF the course. This is a running event, right?
- If you must spit or blow your nose please check around you – I dodged a few snot rockets. EWWWW
- Rest stops – at least try to throw your cup off the road or in the bin and not on the runners behind you, and yes this might be a good time to get rid of your gu rather than discarding where ever you feel like it – do you actually think someone drives the whole course after to pick up all the little packets you discard?
- Being aware of your surroundings. Yes – there are others running this race, and they might pass you so pay attention and be courteous and don’t bottleneck the course.
- Stopping IMMEDIATELY after the finish line. In Vegas I could barely cross the finish line. I was able to cross in San Diego but came to a stop right after… Keep moving people or seek medical attention if you cant.
- Don’t cheat races. When I was waiting for my family to finish the race – I saw more than one person with TWO timing chips on. Really? Also saw another take a short cut prior to the 11 mile mark – can you really live with yourself knowing you PR’ed by cheating?
- Thank the volunteers. We get to do the fun stuff – they are the ones that make it happen.
Ok – enough griping. The race weather was perfect and I PR’ed (barely) at 1.51.09 putting me in the top ten percent out of over 17,000 people – so overall it was a great day spent with my family in San Diego.
How Do You Feel About Rock and Roll Events?
Are You A Fan Or Larger Or Smaller Events?