In the last post of Same Ingredients, Three Meals I used ingredients that amounted to making three meals with Mexican flair. This time around I decided I wanted to travel and found my compass pointed toward Italy. As you know I am from New York and now live in Dallas and Italy may as well be on Mars when it comes to Italian food around here.
The idea that red gravy (marinara sauce) comes from a jar or should taste like ketchup (or catsup) is prevelant here. I am told to eat at this restaurant or that restaurant and it never is as good as I am told it should be and it certainly does not match up to New York. I’m sorry that I’m a New York snob when it comes to Italian food, but outside of Naples there is no finer place to dine on Italian cheeses, sauces, olive oils, pasta, salads than New York.
I made the decision that I was going to make sausage and peppers and utilize the base in all three meals. I know you are saying but Jason you are a vegetarian, so don’t worry I did make it with vegan Italian sausage. Each of these meals came out better than the next but I think it had to do with how I planned and ate the meals. I started with dinner, then had breakfast the next morning and ended with lunch on the same day as breakfast. Why would this matter? Glad you asked. The red gravy had an opportunity to marry with the peppers and onion to create a much loved flavor on my lunch.
So without any further delay here are the meals along with the recipes and ingredients.
Ingredients: 1 package Yves Italian Sausage, 3 bell peppers, 1 white onion, 2 cloves garlic, 1 15oz can of diced tomatoes, 1 7.5oz can of tomato sauce, 2 eggs, low-fat mozzarella cheese, 1 artisan flatbread, 2oz jovial einkorn pasta. (14 total ingredients)
Servings: Each meal serves 1
Sausage and Peppers
Ingredients: 3 ‘sausage’ links, Julienned peppers (with 1/2 cup diced and put aside for breakfast), White onion (with 1/4c diced and put aside for breakfast), 2 cloves garlic (minced), 15oz can of diced tomatoes, 1 7.5oz can of tomato sauce, Italian seasonings.
- In non-stick pan heat 1Tbs of olive oil.
- Place 3 ‘sausage’ links in pan and cook 30-45 seconds per side or until golden brown.
- Remove from pan and place on cutting board
- In same pan add in diced tomatoes, tomato sauce and italian seasonings. Stir, lower heat and cook for 5 minutes.
- While tomatoes are cooking slice the ‘sausage’ on a bias.
- Toss in vegetables that have been julienned as well as garlic (some will cook vegetables first but I like mine to have a little crunch to them.)
- Cook for 5 minutes more and then toss in sausage.
- Cook for 5-10 more minutes to get your vegetables to their desired crunch.
- Remove from heat and set aside until cooled.
- Split in half and place in tupperware then to fridge to allow vegetables and red gravy to marry.
Breakfast – Sausage and Peppers Omelette
Ingredients: 2 eggs, 1 ‘sausage’ link, 1/2 cup of peppers (diced), 1/4c onions (diced), 1/4c mozzarella cheese
- Heat 1Tbsp of olive oil and add in ‘sausage’ link. Turn sausage every 30-45 seconds as it browns.
- Once all sides are browned remove from pan and set on cutting board.
- In same pan add in all the vegetables and saute until they are cooked to your desired consistency (short time = crunchy; long time = soft)
- While vegetables cook whisk eggs and slice ‘sausage’ link into pieces.
- About 1 minute prior to vegetables getting to your desired crispness add in sliced ‘sausage’ and cook for one more minute
- Add in eggs and create an omelette. Just prior to flipping one side over the other top with cheese then flip over.
- Remove from pan and serve with slice of whole wheat toast, coffee and orange juice.
Lunch – Sausage and Peppers Sandwich on Flatbread
Ingredients: 1 Artisan Flatbread, 1/4c mozzarella cheese
- Remove one tupperware from your fridge and leave on countertop until it comes to room temperature.
- Once at room temperature place amount for your sandwich on a plate and heat in microwave for 45 seconds.
- Remove from microwave and spoon onto one side of the flatbread and top with cheese.
- Place back in microwave for 45 seconds to allow cheese to melt.
- Serve with an ice cold beverage of your choice and think of the wind blowing through your hair while on a porch in Tuscany.
Dinner – Sausage and Peppers over Einkorn Pasta
Ingredients: 2oz Jovial Foods Einkorn Pasta, 1/4c mozzarella cheese
- Remove 2nd tupperware from refrigerator and bring to room temperature.
Bring water to a boil.
- While water is boiling heat up sausage and peppers in microwave for 1minute 30 seconds in 45 second increments.
- Once water is boiling add in einkorn pasta and cook for 13 minutes.
- After 13 minutes remove from heat and drain.
- Layer your plate with sausage and peppers, then pasta and then top with more sausage and peppers.
- Top plate with cheese and allow to melt from heat of pasta and sausage and peppers.
- Serve with a nice Chianti (but no fava beans)