I had made spaghetti squash a few days earlier and I didn’t know what to do with it. I did not want to just re-heat it and toss some veggies onto it. I didn’t feel like having rice with it. Making it into a pasta dish was not at the top of my list so I decided that I could make a lasagna with it. A day earlier I had made some gravy for pizza so I had that readily available and there are always vegetables in the refrigerator and so making this was going to be easy.
I also wanted it to have a sort of sausage taste to it so I decided to make crumbled tempeh sausage as an added layer and then it really hit me. Why not bake two eggs on top of it all to get a breakfast spaghetti squash lasagna. Can you tell I was hungry and had just finished swimming? When you finish swimming you want to eat anything and everything. And on this day I made this lasagna that was incredibly delicious. Here is my recipe:
Spaghetti Squash Lasagna
Ingredients: 2 eggs, 150g Spaghetti Squash (already cooked), 1/3 block Tempeh (crumbled), 50g Crimini Mushrooms (chopped), 50g Asparagus (chopped), 50g Italian Squash (chopped), 50g Zucchini (chopped), Gravy (marinara sauce – I use Pomi and reduce it with honey and carrots and Italian Seasoning)
Nutritional Information: 406 calories, 35g Carbs, 16g Fat, 35g Protein
- Preheat oven to 355* (if you have not already made the spaghetti squash then cut it in half and remove seeds. Place in oven and bake for 40 minutes)
- In baking dish coat bottom with a layer of the red gravy.
- Top red gravy with 1/3 (50g) of the spaghetti squash.
- Top spaghetti squash with 1/2 of the mushrooms, asparagus, italian squash, zucchini and red gravy.
- Repeat steps 3 and 4.
- Top the last layer of veggies with the last of the spaghetti squash and put in oven to bake for 15 minutes.
- While lasagna is baking cook the tempeh in a pan with cumin, fennel, rosemary and thyme (dried herbs but use just a pinch of each)
- After 15 minutes remove the baking dish from the oven. Top the lasagna with the tempeh.
- Made 2 wells in the tempeh and crack one egg in each well.
- Sprinkle salt and pepper onto the eggs and place back in the oven for 10 minutes.
- Remove the lasagna after 10 minutes and apply sriracha or your favorite hot sauce to the mixture.
- Dig in.
Be careful though…..it is going to be hot.
What Have You Made With Spaghetti Squash?