Sweet Potato, Avocado and Red Kidney Bean Burrito…..yup you read that right. Now wipe the drool from your bottom lip and get prepared to make one of these this weekend. It is very easy and oh so tasty. The best part is that is has so few ingredients and they are all pronounceable. Words like potato, beans, kale, flour and water. The hardest word is sriracha but you can leave that out if you want and just use tobacco sauce.
I will give you some background information on this burrito. I have been making my own tortillas for about a year now and have always thought about burritos and enchiladas. A few days ago I was on Pinterest and saw a burrito with black beans and avocado. It must have been stuck in my head because I then remembered that this person loves sweet potato burritos and with that memory came the aforementioned Sweet Potato, Avocado and Red Kidney Bean Burrito. Inspiring stuff I know but this is how I operate. I go to Pinterest and see items I like and before I know it I am making my own and creating terrific tasting food that is great for endurance athletes.
Sweet Potato, Avocado, And Red Kidney Bean Burrito
Ingredients: 1/2c Whole Wheat Flour, 5 Tbsp Warm Water (for burrito not for beans), 100g Sweet Potato, 1/4c Dry Red Kidney Beans, 100g Avocado, 2 Tbsp Diced Jalapeño, 1/4c Kale, Bunch of Cilantro, Sriracha (last two ingredients are optional)
Nutritional Information: 581 calories, 99g Carbs, 16g Fat, 20g Protein, 24g Fiber
- Soak beans in pot of water overnight if possible. If not, at least a few hours.
- Bring beans and water up to a boil then let simmer until beans become soft. Usually takes me anywhere from 30 minutes to 1 hour depending on how soft I want them.
- Preheat oven to 350* while water is boiling and simmering the beans.
- Peal the sweet potato and place in oven to soften. Approximately 25 minutes.
- While the potato is baking and the beans are boiling begin to prep the burrito.
- In a food processor place the flour and turn on low.
- As the food processor is going drizzle in the 5 Tablespoons of water until a dough ball is chasing itself around the food processor and nothing is sticking to the sides.
- Put a griddle on your stove top and turn up burners to high.
- Roll out the dough on a clean surface until is it a large wide circle and fairly thin.
- Place rolled out dough onto griddle and allow to cook. You want the tortilla pliable so don’t cook all the way through. Once a bit of smoke arises flip over and cook for another 1-2 minutes and remove from griddle.
- On same hot griddle sauté the kale until wilted. Once wilted place on burrito toward back half closest to you.
- In a bowl combine the sweet potato, avocado, beans and sriracha. With a potato masher (or fork) combine all the ingredients until washed well.
- Place sweet potato mixture on top of kale and then fold in sides of burrito.
- Pull back half of burrito over top of mixture and roll.
- On griddle or panini press place burrito to heat up tortilla.
- Serve and enjoy.