Our last challenge was Battle Pizza where my vegetarian White Pizza came out victorious. At that time we asked what type of cooking method you would like to see the next challenge revolve around. You decided that you wanted to see food being grilled. In my pre-vegetarian days this would have consisted of throwing a steak on the grill and adding a number of sides to it.
With my switch to being a vegetarian I had to think about how I was going to grill. I could easily just grill vegetables, but that isn’t what you come to the challenge to see. You ask us to be creative and so I channeled my inner Bobby Flay and came up with ‘Meat’ and Potatoes.
Now you are asking yourself about the meat portion. It hit me when I remembered having made Buffalo Tempeh and that the texture of tempeh when marinated properly reflected meat. So I decided to use tempeh as my ‘meat’ and marinate it the same way I would have marinated a rib-eye.
Here you will find how to create a ‘Meat’ and Potatoes dish for a vegan/vegetarian, or for those looking to do a Meatless Monday.
‘Meat’ and Potatoes
Ingredients: 8oz Tempeh (cut in half), 2 tbs tamarind paste, 4 tbs balsamic vinegar, 2tbs olive oil, 1tsp ground coriander seed, 1tsp ground cumin, 1tsp dried thyme, 2 sweet potatoes, 1/4c mushrooms (sliced), 1/2 yellow onion (sliced)
Nutritional Information: 406 calories, 19.5g Fat, 46g Carbs, 11g Fiber, 12g Protein
- Combine tamarind paste, 2tbs balsamic vinegar, olive oil, coriander, thyme and cumin in a medium bowl.
- Cut tempeh in half and marinate for 24 hours.
- Preheat oven to 475*
- Microwave sweet potatoes for 4 minutes
- Cut sweet potatoes in half and then into ‘steak’ fries
- Coat baking sheet with cooking spray and place fries on sheet. Coat potatoes with cooking spray.
- Bake until potatoes begin to turn golden brown. Flip one time to brown on both sides.
- While potatoes are baking, 2tbs olive oil in non-stick pan and add in onions and mushrooms.
- Saute’ until both the onions and mushrooms are caramelized.
- Once they are almost down add in 2tbs of balsamic vinegar and reduce.
- Grill tempeh on both sides for 3-5 minutes per side.
- Plate tempeh, then top with onion/mushroom mixture.
- Add sweet potato steak fries.
Check out Matt’s Grilled Sweet Potatoes with Coconut Dipping Sauce [HERE] then come back here and vote for your favorite grilled dish.
Watch our video on how to make this terrific tasting dish.