The Athlete’s Plate is back from its hiatus. As you now know we have launched a new channel on YouTube and it is titled CTER TV. We are thrilled to have been able to secure a studio and hoping that we can present The Athlete’s Plate on our channel in the future. Unfortunately time got the better of us this week and we could not reserve enough studio time so we are going with our old fashioned method of listing our items for you.
Today’s menu has been created for Nora over at Mama Runs Barefoot. Nora is just plain awesome. She is always one of the firsts to visit CTER and comment, always letting me know about one of our dishes that is displayed on Facebook. I smiled from ear to ear when MissZ nominated Nora. I have gone through Nora’s blog and come up with a menu that I hope she loves and will re-create and then post pictures on Facebook for us.
Breakfast: Boulder Tri and Colifax Coffee Marathon
Ingredients: Ezekiel Cinnamon Raisin English Muffin, 1tbs vegan cream cheese, 1tbs blueberry jam, 1 small banana, coffee, orange juice
Nutritional Information: 347 calories, 4g Fat, 74g Carbs, 6g Fiber, 8g Protein
- Toast english muffin and spread 1/2 cream cheese on each side.
- Spread 1/2 jam on each side.
- Slice banana on top.
AM Snack: No Bonk Bar
Ingredients: 4 cups old-fashioned rolled oats, 1 cup brown sugar, packed, 1 cup wheat germ, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, 2 cups whole wheat flour, 2 flax eggs (2tbs of ground flax seed, 4tbs warm water), 1 cup honey, 1 cup canola oil, 2 teaspoons vanilla extract, 1 teaspoon salt, 1/2 cup sesame seeds, 1/2 cup sunflower seeds, 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
Nutritional Information: 322 calories, 16g Fat, 44.5g Carbs, 5g Fiber, 7g Protein
- Preheat oven to 350*. Lightly grease a 9×14 inch baking dish.
- Mix the rolled oats, brown sugar, wheat germ, cinnamon, and flour together in a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs, honey, canola oil, vanilla, and salt until evenly blended. Stir into the oat mixture.
- Stir in sesame seeds, sunflower seeds, and chocolate chips.
- Use your hands to mix the ingredients, and press the mixture into the prepared pan.
- Bake in preheated oven until the edges are golden brown, 20 to 25 minutes.
- Cool completely in the baking dish before cutting into 2 inch bars.
Lunch: Pool Pesto Tempeh Sandwich
Ingredients: 4oz Tempeh, 1tbs soy sauce, 1tbs canola oil, 1tsp dried oregano, 1tsp dried rosemary, 1/2c walnuts, 2c kale, olive oil, 1/2 roma tomato, 1/4″ slice of red onion, 2 slices Ezekiel Bread
Nutritional Information: 550 calories, 29g Fat, 48g Carbs, 14g Fiber, 29g Protein
- Start by marinating the tempeh in the soy sauce, canola oil, oregano, rosemary.
- While tempeh is marinating, put walnuts and kale in food processor.
- Turn on food processor and drizzle in olive oil until it is to your desired consistency.
- Slice roma tomato into 4 slices.
- Grill tempeh for 3-5 minutes on each side.
- Toast Ezekiel Bread.
- Spread kale pesto on one slice, then layer tempeh, tomato and onion.
- Spread kale pesto on other slice and place on top.
- Cut sandwich in half.
PM Snack: Barefoot Blueberry Smoothie
Ingredients: 1c Kefir Blueberry, 1/2c almond milk, 2tbs ground flaxseed, 1tbs wheat germ, 1/2c sliced fresh strawberries, 1/2c frozen blueberries, 1tbs Agave Nectar
Nutritional Information: 378 calories, 5g Fat, 72g Carbs, 14g Fiber, 17g Protein
- Put all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth.
Dinner: Pasta e Fagioli with Spinach
Ingredients: 1tsp olive oil, 6 cloves garlic (minced), 2 lbs plum tomatoes (chopped), 1/4 vegetable broth, 1tsp dried oregano, 1tsp dried thyme, 1tsp salt, 1 can Navy Beans (I know Air Force but try finding Air Force Beans), 8oz whole wheat orecchiette, 1lb baby spinach
Nutritional Information: 241 calories, 2.5g Fat, 42g Carbs, 10g Fiber, 9g Protein
- Bring pot of water to a boil for the pasta and heat a large skillet over medium heat.
- Saute garlic then add tomatoes, broth, oregano and salt. Bring to a boil.
- Once boiling, add the beans and lower to medium.
- Cook until the tomatoes are broken down and sauce is reduced and thickened (15 minutes.)
- Add pasta to boiling water.
- Lower heat on sauce to simmer
- Drain pasta and add to sauce with spinach until all the spinach is wilted.
Overall Nutrition Information: 1834 calories, 56g Fat, 281g Carbs, 49g Fiber, 70g Protein
Nutritional Breakdown for Endurance Athletes: 59% Carbs, 15% Protein, 26% Fat
Nora – I hope you enjoy this menu as much as I enjoyed creating it for you. When you make the dishes please post them on our Facebook page.