I love to cook. Spending hours in the kitchen is not a problem for me. Dicing, chopping, sauteeing…..these are all words that make music in my mind but I also know that not everybody is like me. People want to get into the kitchen and get out as fast as possible without sacrificing taste and I get that.
So with that in mind two days ago I made a meal that took me approximately 20 minutes to make and it was great. The majority of the time was spent waiting for the oven to heat up fully so you know that this is a fast and easy recipe.
Two people came to mind when I was making this meal. The first was MattyO because of the speed at which it was done. The second was Mandy because it used her garlic and had spice to it, which are two things that she enjoys.
Here is the recipe:
Ingredients:1 medium sweet potato, 1/2c black beans (drained and rinsed), 2 cloves garlic (creamed), 2 tbsp Chili Garlic Sauce (more or less depending on your tolerance), 2 tbsp Brown Rice Flour, 1 tbsp olive oil, 3 pieces of bib lettuce (washed and dried), 1/4″ ring of red onion, whole grain mustard
Servings: 1-2 but if you are making for two add an additional set of bib lettuce and red onion
Nutritional Information: 429 calories, 18g Fat, 61g Carbs, 10g Fiber, 10g Protein (If you want more protein fry and egg over the top)
Nutritional Breakdown: 53% Carbs, 37% Fat, 10% Protein (all the fat comes from olive oil)
- Pre-heat microwave to 400*
- Microwave the sweet potato for 5 minutes.
- While sweet potato is in the microwave put all the ingredients except for the oil, lettuce, red onion and mustard in a bowl.
- After the sweet potato is done, peel the skin and place in bowl with other ingredients.
- With your potato masher mash all the ingredients together.
- Once well combined, heat up the olive oil in a pan.
- While pan heats split mixture into two and roll into a ball.
- Once the olive oil is hot (not smoking) put sweet potato balls into pan and flatten into a patty.
- Cook for 5-8 minutes until slightly charred and a crust has formed.
- Flip over and cook again for 5-8 minutes.
- Once done place in oven for 5-8 minutes to heat all the way through.
- Serve with pickles (just for Emily) and a side of mustard.