Running in a Downpour

Running in the rain is a wonderful experience, but running in a pure downpour?  With thunder?  Lightning? Well let's just say it was just as good.  I had a great time running 16 miles today and I can't say that is something that I say often but today it was awesome. I went out to White Rock Lake with Karen and a good friend Adam.  Adam has been training for the past few weeks for a 5K and he has really been pushing himself.  He is doing hill training, interval training, fartleks, track name it he is doing it and it has been awesome to watch. Today he had planned to only do 7 with me but once you are at White Rock Lake you can either turn back or keep going and he decided to not turn around at 3.5 miles and managed to run the full loop which is 9 miles.  He even pushed himself to finish strong in the last 0.5 miles.  It was great to have him there for 8.5 miles as it made my run much easier. The one issue with the rain today was that it did make the air chilly and if you aren't prepared for it then it can get really cold.  Karen was nearly frozen when she hit the 9 mile marker and decided to call it a day and take a nap in the car while I ran another 7 miles. I felt like it was a great run and when I got to 13.1 miles (1/2 marathon) I looked at my watch and was under a 10 minute pace, but then when I finished the 14th mile I looked at my watch.  OH BOY!!!!!  What happened?  I was at 10:42 for that mile.  Did I just stop and daydream?  What was going on here?  I decided that I would run the last two miles at a faster pace and picked it up. Of course as I got going I realized that I needed to pick up Adam's shirt (he dropped it off by a tree at the start of the race b/c it was making him hot and starting to weigh quite a bit.)  I picked up his shirt and it was covered in dirt and twigs.  Of course at this point I had taken off my second shirt because it was starting to chaffe my pectorals.  Now I was carrying two shirts and trying to pick up the pace. After about a mile longer I had to pick up my first shirt.  Now I was carrying three shirts and decided it was time to make like a running back and carry them as a football.  I finished those last few steps and it was time to cool down.  Took about a 1/2 mile walk to the car to find Karen sleeping. I did the 16 miles in 2 hours and 38 minutes.  I feel really strong and to celebrate Karen and I went for pedicures.  Great way to relax and massage your legs after a long run. Tomorrow will be a 1.5 hour session on the bike trainer while watching football.  Let's Go Giants!!!!
Jason Bahamundi

About the Author:

I grew up in New York and lived there for 34 years until I got divorced and moved 1600 miles to my new home in Texas.  I love New York and miss it but that does not mean that Texas hasn’t been great to me because it has.  It was here that I discovered endurance sports and specifically the sport of triathlon.  Triathlon has given me new life through all the challenges it presents.  I no longer look at life the same way and I can say that is in part due to my endeavor into this sport.